Clover Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Dilke Street (also containing original/ surviving Mews properties) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, just above the River Thames. Clover Mews contains 5 properties down one side, used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Chelsea Embankment, south-east of Dilke Street and in the past it was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Royal Hospital’ Conservation Area. Containing the Royal Hospital from which the area derives its name, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. Apart from the Hospital, the area contains few significant buildings, mainly mixed terraces and more modern buildings.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard and gable roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably, the replacement of a roof, a new basement storey and a loft conversion. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.