Clenston Mews is a cul-de-sac off Seymour Place in Westminster containing only 2 properties used for commercial purposes. It is situated between Bryanston Court and Wythburn Court, next to Wythburn Place, another original/ surviving Mews and both are roughly oriented in a west-east direction.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto George Street, just to the north-west of Clenston Mews. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Clenston Mews is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area. Situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The two storey properties have a mixture of plain and painted brickwork exteriors, with roofs hidden behind parapet walls. The road surface is tarmacadam, parking is restricted and there are both converted and intact garages present.
Originally the coach house accommodation for the main properties in Great Cumberland Place, the buildings are still used for commercial purposes today. There have been very few planning applications made prior to and since 2003; most notably the conversion of a garage into residential accommodation. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.