Chilworth Mews is a through road approached through an entrance under a building on Craven Road, leading onto Chilworth Street. The Mews is directly opposite Eastbourne Mews (another original/ surviving Mews off Chilworth Street) and contains 31 properties used for both commercial and residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a parachute mine is recorded falling to the north-east end of the Mews. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Chilworth Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area. Developed over the space of about 70 years, the townscape is uniform despite being composed of several distinct areas and is made up of a regular composition of streets and squares in an Italianate style. An important aspect of the street pattern are the several mews, some quite intimate and others so large that they appear to be a development of their own. The contrast of scale provided by these mews is a crucial aspect of the overall area’s character.
The Mews contains two and three storey properties, with houses on the left hand side and modern offices on the right (facing North) The facade is painted and rendered brickwork and there is a mixture of mansard and parapet roofs. The road surface is tarmacadam and parking is restricted.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stabling for the surrounding properties on Westbourne Terrace and some commercial activity still remains today. There have been many planning applications made prior to and since 2003, namely; rebuilding and extending some mews properties, extensions to the roofs and alterations to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.