Cheyne Mews is a part-cobbled cul-de-sac approached through an entrance under a building on Cheyne Walk in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, just above the River Thames. Cheyne Mews contains 5 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto the far end of Cheyne Walk and in the past it was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Cheyne’ Conservation Area. Designated in 1969 to protect and control alterations to the ancient village lanes and mediaeval boundaries of Old Church Street and Paradise Row in Chelsea, the Cheyne Conservation Area is centered around the medieval village of Chelsea, bounded in the north by King’s Road and by the River Thames in the south. The area is committed to preserving and protecting historical buildings and aspects of architecture that could easily be lost by new developments or demolition of existing properties.
Until 1753, King henry VIII’s Manor House stood here.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard, pitched or parapet roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface. There are intact and converted garages present, with restricted parking along the cul-de-sac.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Cheyne Walk, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential rather than commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; mainly basement excavations and extensions, roof extensions and placement of a new conservatory. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.