Carmel Court is a part-paved, Mews-Style pedestrian through road, approached through an entrance under a building on Holland Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea opposite Gregory Place, an original/ surviving Mews street. Carmel Court contains 9 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941 a high explosive bomb fell onto Hornton Street, just east of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published, though some houses in the area were noted as being poorer in comparison.
The passage is part of the ‘Kensington’ Conservation Area; the largest Conservation Area, covering 130 acres in total and named after the borough in which it is situated has a plethora of varying locations, from busy shopping streets to quiet Mews cul-de-sacs. The area was originally designated in 1970 and then extended over the next few years up to most-recently, 1993 to include Kensington High Street.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with roofs hidden behind parapet walls, surrounded by a paved and tarmacadam road surface. There are raised party walls present and partial raised pavements along the sides of the street.
The primary purpose of the passage properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the court; mainly basement excavations or extensions. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the court.