Canning Place Mews is a part-cobbled cul-de-sac off Canning Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, parallel to De Vere Mews, another original/ surviving Mews street. Canning Place Mews contains 12 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Palace Gate, just east of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘De Vere’ Conservation Area; originally designated in 1969 as Kensington New Town, with the other two (Kensington Court and Cornwall) areas being designated separately soon after. In 1985, the boundaries were modified and revised.
The three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with mansard roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and paved road surface. There are intact garages present and parking is unrestricted.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; the erection of rear extensions at basement level being common and changes to the fenestration of the properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.
The Civil Service Riding Club briefly moved in 1974 to Canning Place Mews and subsequently to its present home at the Royal Mews.