Cadogan Lane is a part-cobbled through road between Cadogan Place and Pont Street, with an additional cul-de-sac section the opposite side of Pont Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, parallel to Pavilion Road which also contains original/ surviving Mews buildings. Cadogan Lane contains 68 properties used for a mixture of residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Hans Town’ Conservation Area; one of Kensington’s largest Conservation Areas designated in 1971 and further extended multiple times up to, most recently 1995, the name is taken from Sir Hans Sloane who acquired the area of Chelsea and whose marriage into the Cadogan family led to the development of the estate. The area is split into Knightsbridge, East of Sloane Street and West of Sloane Street sub-areas; being very architecturally diverse from early 18th Century to late Georgian Times and 19th Century to commercial redevelopment in the 20th Century.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard, pitched and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam and cobbled road surface and raised pavements. There are both intact and converted garages present in the Mews, and parking is restricted.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Cadogan Place, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential though some commercial activity still takes place.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably; single storey extensions, changes to the fenestration and basement excavations. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.