Buckingham Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac containing 5 properties off Stafford Place in Westminster.
Between 1940 and 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Buckingham Gate near to the Mews, meaning the properties had to be rebuilt. The area was regarded as having comfortable living conditions when the London Poverty Maps were originally published.
Buckingham Mews is a part of Westminster City Council’s Birdcage Walk Conservation Area. Laid out in the 1660’s, the area was first designated in 1969 and then extended in 1971 and 1980. The area is characterised by small-scale of buildings, enclaves of stock brick townhouses in Queen Anne and Georgian styles and has a green edge formed by St James’ Park. The whole Conservation Area has a peaceful atmosphere.
The Mews was built for the properties on Buckingham Gate in 1860. The Mews buildings are set behind high brick walls and piers. They are simply detailed, of two stories in stock brick, with three 3-over-3 timber sashes at first floor level and tall chimneys. The facade consists of painted brickwork and the properties have a mixture of mansard and parapet roof styles.
Some of the Mews properties have had some unsympathetic exterior alterations, including metal garage doors added at ground floor level replacing the timber carriage doors. Larger changes include basement excavations and mansard roof extensions. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.