Bryanston Mews West is a through road between George Street and Bryanston Place in Westminster. It runs parallel to Montagu Mews West and Bryanston Mews East, also original/ surviving Mews streets and all roughly north-south oriented.
Between 1940 and 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Seymour Place near to the Mews, meaning the properties had to be rebuilt. The area was regarded as having comfortable living conditions when the London Poverty Maps were originally published.
Bryanston Mews West is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area. Situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The Mews contains two and three storey, painted and rendered properties with a mixture of pitched and parapet roof styles. The road surface is tarmacadam and the garages present are still intact. The 33 properties in the Mews are used for residential purposes.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main properties in Bryanston Square, but now the usage of the buildings is primarily residential.
Since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made to the properties, notably the erection of roof terraces to provided additional residential accommodation to the existing dwellings. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.