Bryanston Mews East is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Montagu Place in Westminster, next to the Embassy of Switzerland. It runs in line with Montagu Mews West, another original/ surviving Mews and both are roughly north-south oriented.
Between 1940 and 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto the north-east side of Bryanston Square near to the Mews. The area was regarded as having comfortable living conditions when the London Poverty Maps were originally published.
Bryanston Mews East is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area. Situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The Mews contains two and three storey properties with a wide array of different roof and facade styles. The road surface is cobbled and there are partial pavements and both intact and converted garages. The 17 properties in the Mews are used for residential purposes.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main properties in Bryanston Square and Montagu Square, but now the usage of the buildings is primarily residential.
Since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made to the properties, some of which have been demolished and rebuilt so are no longer original and others having additional residential accommodation created in the form of garage conversions. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.