Broadstone Place is a cobbled through road between Blandford Street and Dorset Street in Westminster. The Mews has only 3 properties and runs roughly south-north, in line with Kenrick Place, another original/ surviving Mews.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling directly onto Broadstone Place, resulting in the buildings having to be rebuilt. The area was regarded as having comfortable living conditions when the London poverty Maps were originally published.
Broadstone Place is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area. Situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The Beatles’ ‘Help’ (1965) was filmed on Blandford Street and there is also a blue plaque on number 48, erected in 1976 and inscribed ‘MICHAEL FARADAY – MAN OF SCIENCE. APPRENTICE HERE. B.1791. ¨D.1867.’
The two and three storey properties on Broadstone Place are a mixture of plain and painted brickwork, with pitched roofs. The street has been redeveloped down one side and the pavements are not original. The properties are used for commercial purposes.
The original purpose of the properties in Broadstone Place was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main buildings in Chiltern Street. Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for development in the mews, mainly minor changes to the fenestration but some larger, internal renovations have also taken place. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.