Bourdon Street is a through road between Grosvenor Hill and Davies Street in Westminster. It contains 84 properties used for residential and commercial purposes. Bourdon Place, a redeveloped Mews can be accessed from Bourdon Street.
During World War II, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling nearby onto Bruton Place, but Bourdon Street was largely unaffected. The through road is recorded as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household salaries when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Mayfair Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it derives its name from a fair held in the month of May in fields around the site of today’s Shepherd Market. The area is dominated by fashionable town-houses (and their mews) reflecting the history of English domestic architecture from the early 18th to the early 20th century.
The three storey properties have gable roofs and a mixture of painted and rendered brickwork. The road surface is tarmacadam and there is a car park present on the street. One end of the Mews is approached through an entrance under a building.
The streets in the central part of the Grosvenor Hill area were originally collectively known as Grosvenor Mews until 1881 when the southern arm was renamed Bourdon Street and the passage to the north and west, Bourdon Place. Numbers 13, 15 and 15A Bourdon Place were rebuilt in the 1830’s and 40’s by Thomas Cubitt and John Newson and now survive in an altered state. The street has now been largely redeveloped and is used commercially as well as residentially. Before and since 2003 there have been a vast number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties, namely roof terraces, basement excavations and other minor interior and exterior alterations. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.