Bolton Gardens Mews (previously, Bolton Mews) is a cobbled cul-de-sac off The Little Boltons in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 13 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941 a high explosive bomb fell onto Bolton Gardens, just north of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘The Boltons’ Conservation Area; one of the more attractive of Kensington’s 32 Conservation Areas, it was designated in January 1970 and since extended to contain Dove Mews in the east and Seymour Walk in the south.
The two storey properties have a mixture of rendered and painted brickwork facades with roofs hidden behind parapet walls, surrounded by a cobbled road surface and partial raised pavements. There are both raised party walls and cast iron bressumers to be seen in the Mews.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably, changes to the fenestration, internal and external alterations and the complete demolition and rebuilding in Mews-style of one of the properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.