Barnaby Place is a private and gated cul-de-sac off Old Brompton Road (very close to Reece Mews and Kendrick Mews, other original/ surviving Mews) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains just 2 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Cranley Place, south-west of Barnaby Place. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with a middle class standard of living when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area; one of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces, most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two and three storey properties have plain brickwork facades and are surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface with raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still remains.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Barnaby Place; most notably, changes to the fenestration and elevational alterations. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.