Atherstone Mews is a part-cobbled through road between Queen’s Gate Gardens and Cromwell Road (opposite Stanhope Mews West, another original/ surviving Mews) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 23 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto the Mews, meaning that the majority of the buildings had to be rebuilt. The Mews was noted as having fairly comfortable living conditions with good ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two storey properties have gable and parapet roof styles and a mixture of plain or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the cobbled and tarmacadam road surface, with partial raised and flush pavements and intact garages present. Cast Iron Bressumer’s can be seen, along with decorative brickwork in the facades of the buildings.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Cromwell Road and Queen’s Gate Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Atherstone Mews; most notably, changes to the fenestration and the excavation of a basement. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.