Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street in Westminster. The Mews contains 16 properties used for residential purposes. The Mews runs approximately North-South in similar configuration to Archery Close, another original/surviving Mews around the corner, off Connaught Street.
High explosive bombs are recorded falling onto nearby Albion Close and Connaught Street in World War II. The section of Mews has the appearance of a row of terraced cottages and belies any evidence of previous equestrian usage.
The area was recorded as being comfortable with good earnings when the London Poverty Maps were published.
Albion Mews is part of the Church Commissioners’ Hyde Park Estate, and Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area. It is situated on the north side of Hyde Park, opposite Albion Close. The Church Commissioners Hyde Park Estate is considered to be one of the most important works of Georgian town planning in London due to its planned layout of squares, crescents and Mews.
The one-sided Mews is cobbled with partial raised pavements and contains a mixture of painted and rendered brickwork, three-storey properties with mansard roofs. There are benches and tables present in the cul-de-sac.
18 Albion Mews has a Blue Plaque erected in 2008 inscribed, ‘Dame LUCIE RIE 1902-1995 Potter lived and worked here from 1939 until her death’.
13 Albion Street has a Blue Plaque erected in 1983 inscribed ‘SIR CHALES VYNER BROOKE 1874-1963 last Rajah of Sarawk lived here’. Between 1924 and 1968, Albion Mews contained clubhouses for the Royal Toxophilite Society.
The Mews originally provided stable/ coach house accommodation for the larger houses in Albion Street. There have been a few planning applications made for alterations before and since 2003, mainly for minor works to replacement fenestration, replacement water tanks and mansard roof erections. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.