Addison Place is a part-cobbled through-road between Queensdale Road (opposite Queensdale Place, a redeveloped Mews) and Addison Avenue (opposite Taverners Close, containing a few Original properties) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 31 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
In 1940, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Royal Crescent, just south-west of the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions with average household salaries to poorer residences.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Norland Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it contains Royal Crescent, Norland Square and St. James’s gardens. Building of the area began in the 1840’s and was completed just fifteen years later. It contains linked terraces and is largely urban in style.
The two storey properties have pitched, gable and parapet roof styles and a mixture of painted brickwork or rendered facades. Parking is restricted along the mainly tarmacadam road (with a small cobbled section) and there are partial raised pavements. Numbers 14-22 Addison Place are Grade II Listed Buildings.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties on Addison Place; most notably concerning basement excavations, change of use from office to residential dwellings and changes to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.