South End Row is a Mews Style cul-de-sac off Ansdell Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. South End Row contains 30 properties, used for residential purposes.
The Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a High Explosive Bomb falling directly onto Kelso Place, containing Mews Style properties south of South End Row between October 7th 1940 and June 6th 1941, causing significant damage to the properties. In the past, the area was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions and lower than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The cul-de-sac is part of the ‘De Vere’ Conservation Area; originally designated in 1969 as Kensington New Town, with the other two (Kensington Court and Cornwall) areas being designated separately soon after. In 1985, the boundaries were modified and revised.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a mixture of different roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements. The road is also home to St Alban’s Studios, built in 1911.
Containing some early Mews Style developments but with no equine history; the primary purpose of the properties is now residential rather than commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the cul-de-sac, most notably; roof additions, the erection of an additional floor in a property and repairs and alterations to a front garden.
Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the street.