Situated within Inner London in the Borough of Camden, is Prowse Place; a cobbled Mews Style through road off Ivor Street with access to Jeffrey’s Place, containing original/ surviving Mews properties. The street contains 19 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
The street is part of the Jeffrey’s Street Conservation Area. Named after one of the oldest complete streets in Camden, laid out around 1800, the Conservation Area was designated on 12th November 1985 and it is made up of quiet, residential streets and narrow lanes – mostly 18th and 19th Century houses between areas of green open space. The North London Railway intersects the southern end of the Conservation Area.
When the London Poverty Maps were first published, the area was deemed to have comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time.
The two storey properties have plain and painted brickwork facades with a mixture of gable and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface and raised pavements.
Nowadays the properties are predominantly used for residential purposes, with some commercial activity also taking place. They have no equine history and are Mews in style only; 19th century cottages.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the street, the most notable being; rear extensions and the complete demolition and rebuilding of a property. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the street.