Pembroke Studios is a private, gated, Mews Style courtyard off Pembroke Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 14 properties used for residential purposes.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions with higher than average household salaries. A number of high explosive bombs fell very close to the Studios in World War II, just off Pembroke Gardens.
The courtyard is part of Kensington’s Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area, which was first designated in January 1970 and extended in 1970 to cover part of Adam and Eve Mews (complete cover in 1981). The small-scale back streets contrast pleasantly with the major terraces. The area contains a fair number of Mews and individual studios off Stratford Road.
Built in 1890-1 as six studios and rebuilt after bomb damage in the war, the two storey properties now have a mixture of mansard, gable and pitched roof styles and plain brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the paved road.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Pembroke Studios, notably; the retention of a trellis and a first floor extension. The studios are Mews in style only, having no equine heritage and being built in 1890 as studios.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the cul-de-sac.