Pembroke Place is a Mews Style cul-de-sac off Earls Court Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 32 properties used for residential purposes, parallel to Pembroke Mews, containing original/ surviving Mews properties.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having poor living conditions with lower than average household salaries. It was once a notorious slum with nearly a dozen occupants to each house.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area, which was first designated in January 1970 and extended in 1970 to cover part of Adam and Eve Mews (complete cover in 1981). The small-scale back streets contrast pleasantly with the major terraces. The area contains a fair number of Mews and individual studios off Stratford Road.
Built in 1868 as workers’ cottages, the two and three storey properties now have a mixture of different roof styles and a variety of rendered and painted brickwork facades. Parking is allocated or restricted along the tarmacadam road. The properties are Mews in style only, having no equine history.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Pembroke Place, notably; the insertion of rooflights, changes to the fenestration and basement excavations.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the cul-de-sac.