Montpelier Mews is a redeveloped, part-cobbled cul-de-sac off Montpelier Street Westminster, close to Cheval Place, an original/ surviving Mews street. There are 15 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Brompton Square, a fair distance from the Mews so the buildings may have survived undamaged. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with a good standard of living when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Montpelier Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Knightsbridge Conservation Area. Designated in 1968, the area relates strongly to Queen’s Gate Conservation Area in Kensington and Chelsea and contains large-scale cultural and educational institutions such as the Royal Albert Hall. The western half of the area is dominated by a late Victorian cultural complex and mansion blocks whilst the east has residential areas of leafy squares and intimate terraces.
There are also several mews within the conservation area, particularly to the east and south. These are characterised by their intimate scale and are generally two storeys in height and relate to the plot width of the principal building with which they are associated.
The Mews has two, three and four storey buildings with a variety of mansard, pitched and flat roof styles and a mixture of brickwork, rendered and pebbledash facades. The buildings are surrounded by a part-cobbled road surface, raised pavements at the entrance to the Mews and restricted parking.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Montpelier Street but today the properties are mainly used residentially.
A few planning applications have been made since 2003 for alterations to properties, notably; the conversion of a garage into additional residential quarters and the complete demolition of some original Mews properties. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.