Lecky Street consists of 2 cul-de-sacs off Elm Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 5 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
In World War II, high explosive bombs fell onto Selwood Place and Cranley Gardens, north and west of the Mews respectively. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time, though some houses were slightly poorer in comparison.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
Built in the 1960’s, the two storey properties have parapet roof styles and rendered or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the tarmacadam road surface and there are intact garages present. It is built on the original site of Elm’s Mews where 5 cottages were intersperses with stables.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Selwood Terrace, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Lecky Street, the most notable being, a ground floor extension at the rear of a property. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.