Ladbroke Mews is a cul-de-sac off Ladbroke Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 14 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Lansdowne Walk, just north of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having very comfortable living conditions with higher than average, middle class household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Norland Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it contains Royal Crescent, Norland Square and St. James’s gardens. Building of the area began in the 1840’s and was completed just fifteen years later. It contains linked terraces and is largely urban in style.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with parapet, flat and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and flush pavements. There are also raised party walls to be seen in the Mews. Most of the properties have garages, and are mainly new builds on the original site of the Mews. All of the garages are down the left hand side of the street
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Portland Road and Clarendon Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably an alteration to the existing roof on one property. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.