Conduit Place is a Mews Style through road between Spring Street and London Street in Westminster. The street contains 3 properties and leads to Conduit Passage, a redeveloped Mews.
Between 1940 and 1941, several high explosive bombs are recorded falling onto Spring Street and Conduit Place, meaning many of the properties had to be rebuilt. The area was regarded as having comfortable living conditions when the London Poverty Maps were originally published.
Conduit Place is part of Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area. Developed over the space of about 70 years, the townscape is uniform despite being composed of several distinct areas and is made up of a regular composition of streets and squares in an Italianate style. An important aspect of the street pattern are the several mews, some quite intimate and others so large that they appear to be a development of their own. The contrast of scale provided by these mews is a crucial aspect of the overall area’s character.
The original name for Conduit Passage and Spring Street derive from an ancient stone-built conduit house on what is now Craven Hill, from where the water-supply was conveyed by pipes underground into the City until about 1820 when this particular house no longer remained standing.
The street contains two and three storey properties along one side with gable and parapet roofs and a mixture of different materials and styles used for the facade. The properties are surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface with raised pavements.
The street has no equine heritage and now the usage of the buildings is primarily residential.
Since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made to the properties, such as roof extensions and alterations to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the street.