Clareville Grove is a Mews Style through road off Clareville Street (also containing Mews Style properties), leading to Old Brompton Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Clareville Grove contains 43 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Clareville Street, north of the Grove and in the past it was noted for having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published, though some houses in the immediate area were deemed to be middle-class and significantly wealthier in comparison.
The street is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two, three and six storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface.
The street was built from 1825 as houses with no equine history; the primary purpose of the properties continuing to be residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the street; most notably, many basement excavations, extensions for additional residential accommodation and changes to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the street.