Clareville Grove Mews is a gated and private, Mews Style cul-de-sac off Clareville Street, behind Manson Mews (containing original/ surviving Mews properties) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Clareville Grove Mews contains 5 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Clareville Street, very near to Clareville Grove Mews and in the past it was noted for having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published, though some houses in the immediate area were deemed as being middle-class and significantly wealthier in comparison.
The cul-de-sac is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with roofs hidden behind parapet walls, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface. Metal bressumers can be seen.
A more modern, Mews Style development with no apparent equine history; the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
There are no records of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the cul-de-sac.