Bury Walk is a Mews Style through road between Fulham Road and Cale Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, parallel to Stewarts Grove which contains original/ surviving Mews buildings. Bury Walk contains 70 properties used for a mixture of residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a number of high explosive bombs fell onto Sydney Street, next to and also directly onto the Walk itself. The street was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Bury Walk is part of the ‘Chelsea’ Conservation Area; comprising groups of modest residential terraces between major roads an a plethora of predominantly single family houses showing the varying styles of development from the 1830s to the present day, the Chelsea area was first designated in 1971 to sit between the Royal Marsden Hospital in the west and the Hans Town and Sloane Square Conservation Areas in the East.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements.
Originally named Bury Street as it lead to St. Luke’s Burial Ground, the primary purpose of the properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still takes place. One of the buildings is a former victorian warehouse that has been converted into offices.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably garage conversions for additional accommodation and basement excavations. Many of the properties have been demolished and rebuilt over the years. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Street.