West Mews is a redeveloped through road off Warwick Place in Westminster. The Mews contains 7 properties used for residential purposes.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto Eccleston Square Mews, an original/ surviving Mews nearby. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was described as being comfortable with normal household earnings.
West Mews is situated within Westminster City Council’s Pimilico Conservation Area. Constructed over a short period (1830’s to 1870’s), the area has a layout of formal streets and squares, lined by terraces of houses in the Classical tradition. The mews are situated behind the squares and fill in the street blocks. They are characterised by a more intimate setting than the main streets and are often entered through an archway. The buildings typically consist of two storeys and are generally scaled width-wise to the same size as the main properties that they are linked to.
The two storey properties in the Mews have plain brickwork facades, with roofs hidden behind parapet walls, surrounded by a part-cobbled road surface (cobbled at the end of the Mews, then turning into block paving).
There have been a small amount of planning applications made prior to and since 2003, all relating to plantation and foliage management. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.