Wellington Close is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Ledbury Road in Westminster. There are 15 properties in the Mews, used for residential and commercial purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
The area was noted as being one of the most deprived and impoverished in London when the Poverty Maps were first published.
Wellington Close is part of Westminster City Council’s Westbourne Conservation Area; transformed from a hamlet with fields in cultivation to a metropolitan suburb in the space of about 15 years, starting in the early 1840’s. The houses in Westbourne were mainly built for prosperous professionals, explaining why there are only a handful of mews spaces, though where these occur they have significant townscape value and historic interest.
The Mews properties consist of two and three storeys with plain brickwork facades and pitched roof styles. There are both intact and converted garages in the Mews, and the road surface is cobbled.
Many planning applications have been made prior to and since 2003 for alterations to properties, mainly; roof extensions, basement excavations and the partial or complete demolition of some of the properties. Major building works were underway on visit in 2013. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.