Thornton Place is a redeveloped cobbled through road between Salisbury Place and York Street in Westminster, in line with Montagu Mews North, an original/ surviving Mews street. There are 15 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Salisbury Place, just north of the Mews. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Thornton Place is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area; situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The Mews has three storey, painted and rendered brickwork buildings with mansard roof styles. The buildings are surrounded by a cobbled road surface and parking is restricted.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Upper Montagu Street and Gloucester Place. Nowadays, the properties are used residentially.
A few planning applications have been made prior to and since 2003 for alterations to properties, mainly changes to the fenestration and the complete demolition of some of the properties. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.