Sydney Mews is a private, part-cobbled cul-de-sac off Fulham Road, with a pedestrian through road to Sydney Close in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Sydney Mews contains 26 properties used for commercial purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a number of high explosive bombs fell onto Sydney Street, opposite the Mews. The Mews was noted as having very comfortable living conditions with higher than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The one, two, three and four storey properties have plain brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is still commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.