Stanhope Mews East is a redeveloped through road approached through its own arch on Cromwell Road (opposite Queen’s Gate Place Mews, an original/ surviving Mews) and leading to Stanhope Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 30 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Stanhope Gardens, west of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having fairly comfortable living conditions with good ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two and three storey properties have a variety of different roof styles and a mixture of rendered or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the tarmacadam road surface, with raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Queen’s Gate and Stanhope Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Stanhope Mews East, most notably; changes to the fenestration, the addition of storeys and a garage conversion. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.