Onslow Mews East is a part-cobbled pedestrian through road and cul-de-sac between Cranley Place and Sumner Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, opposite to Onslow Mews West and Sumner Place Mews, original/ surviving Mews. It contains 10 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Cranley Place. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with an extremely wealthy standard of living when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas; it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades, gable or pitched roof styles and are surrounded by a cobbled and paved road surface.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Onslow Square, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential. The properties were redeveloped in 1939.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Onslow Mews East, most notably; garage conversions for additional residential accommodation. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.