Old Manor Yard is a gated, private, part-cobbled cul-de-sac approached through an entrance under a building on Earls Court Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, right next to Earl’s Court Train Station. Old Manor Yard contains 12 redeveloped properties, used for residential purposes.
In the past, the area was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings with poorer residences for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is not part of a Conservation Area.
Laid out in 1874-8 on the site of the old manor house, the original stabling was subsequently redeveloped in the early 1960’s as plain, two storey Mews houses. The two storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with hidden roof styles behind parapet walls, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Penywern Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, mainly regarding; new fenestration on some of the properties and the excavation of a basement for additional residential living space. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.