Old Chelsea Mews is a gated and paved cul-de-sac off Danvers Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, just above the River Thames. Old Chelsea Mews contains 4 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell just off Danvers Street and in the past it was noted as having comfortable living conditions and higher than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Cheyne’ Conservation Area. Designated in 1969 to protect and control alterations to the ancient village lanes and mediaeval boundaries of Old Church Street and Paradise Row in Chelsea, the Cheyne Conservation Area is centred around the medieval village of Chelsea, bounded in the north by King’s Road and by the River Thames in the south. The area is committed to preserving and protecting historical buildings and aspects of architecture that could easily be lost by new developments or demolition of existing properties.
The three storey properties have rendered or brickwork facades with a variety of mansard or pitched roof styles, surrounded by a paved road surface. There are intact garages present, with allocated parking along the cul-de-sac and partial raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential rather than commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably the installation of an outdoor air conditioning unit to the roof of a property. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.