Moreton Terrace Mews North and South are both part-cobbled cul-de-sac’s approached through an entrance under a building on Moreton Terrace in Westminster. There are 10 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling directly onto the Mews. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with a good standard of living when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is situated within Westminster City Council’s Pimilico Conservation Area. Constructed over a short period (1830’s to 1870’s), the area has a layout of formal streets and squares, lined by terraces of houses in the Classical tradition. The Mews are situated behind the squares and fill in the street blocks. They are characterised by a more intimate setting than the main streets and are often entered through an archway. The buildings typically consist of two storeys and are generally scaled width-wise to the same size as the main properties that they are linked to.
The Mews has two storey buildings with roofs hidden behind parapet walls and painted or plain brickwork facades. The buildings are surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface and have restricted parking.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Moreton Terrace but nowadays the properties are mainly used for residential purposes.
A few planning applications have been made before and since 2003 for alterations to properties, mainly garage conversions and changes to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.