Situated in East London in the Borough of Tower Hamlets is Medway Mews; a gated and cobbled cul-de-sac approached through an entrance under a building on Medway Road. The Mews contains 6 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
The Mews is part of the Medway conservation area. A high explosive bomb fell onto Roman Road, just west of the Mews in World War II and when the London Poverty Maps were originally published, the area was deemed to have comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time.
The two storey properties have painted brickwork facades and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface with no garages and restricted parking.
Built around the 1930’s, the original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets and nowadays they are predominantly used for residential purposes.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, the most notable being the erection of a single storey front extension.