Situated to the west of London in Hammersmith and Fulham is Laurence Mews; a cobbled cul-de-sac off Askew Road. The Mews contains 24 properties used for residential and commercial purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
The Mews is not part of a Conservation Area. When the London Poverty Maps were first published, the area was deemed to have poorer living conditions with lower than average household earnings for the time.
Laurence Mews is made up of two storey, plain and painted brickwork buildings with mansard and gable roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. At the back of the Mews are the original buildings built in 1880. At the front are newer developments.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets but nowadays the properties are used for residential purposes, though some commercial activity still remains.
There have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews both before and since 2003, including garage conversions, rear and roof extensions.