Lansdowne Mews is a through road off Lansdowne Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea opposite Boyne Terrace Mews, which contains original/ surviving Mews buildings. It contains 21 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Lansdowne Road, not far from Lansdowne Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with higher than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Ladbroke’ Conservation Area; designated in 1969, it is situated in the Notting Hill area of North Kensington and predominantly contains Victorian classical architecture around large garden squares.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with gable, flat and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and partial raised pavements. There are also raised party walls to be seen in the Mews.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Holland Park Avenue, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably changes to the fenestration and basement excavations. It underwent general development in 1977. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.