Hornton Place is a through road off Hornton Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, leading to Drayson Mews, which contains original/ surviving Mews properties. Hornton Place contains 6 properties used for residential and commercial purposes and it is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Hornton Street, just east of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Kensington’ Conservation Area; the largest Conservation Area, covering 130 acres in total and named after the borough in which it is situated has a plethora of varying locations, from busy shopping streets to quiet Mews cul-de-sacs. The area was originally designated in 1970 and then extended over the next few years, up to most-recently, 1993 to include Kensington High Street.
The two, three and four storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades and a mixture of mansard and parapet roof styles surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface. There are raised party walls present.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now both residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, mainly; the change of purpose of some of the properties from residential or retail, to offices. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.