Situated within inner London in the Borough of Islington, is Hanover Yard; a private cul-de-sac off Noel Road. The Mews contains 2 properties used for commercial and residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
The Mews is part of the Duncan Terrace/ Colebrooke Row Conservation Area. A high explosive bomb fell onto Noel Road in World War II, not far from the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was deemed to have a mixture of comfortable and poorer living conditions in comparison to what was ordinary at the time.
The two and three storey properties have rendered and painted brickwork facades and a mixture of gable and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface with unrestricted parking and both intact and converted garages.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets and nowadays they are still used primarily for commercial purposes, in addition to residential usage. The current buildings light industrial originating from the 1950’s.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, the most notable being changes to the fenestration.