Gregory Place is a redeveloped, part-cobbled cul-de-sac off Holland Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, opposite Carmel Court, an original/ surviving Mews street. Gregory Place contains 10 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Hornton Street, just east of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published, though some houses in the area were noted being poorer in comparison.
The Mews is part of the ‘Kensington’ Conservation Area. The largest Conservation Area, covering 130 acres in total and named after the borough in which it is situated has a plethora of varying locations, from busy shopping streets to quiet Mews cul-de-sacs. The area was originally designated in 1970 and then extended over the next few years, up to most-recently, 1993 to include Kensington High Street.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still takes place.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, mainly; basement excavations or extensions. Some of the properties have been completely rebuilt and are no longer original Mews. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.