Eliot Mews is a paved cul-de-sac off Abbey Gardens in Westminster. The gated Mews has only 4 properties, used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
Between 7th October 1940 and 6th June 1941, 28 high explosive bombs were dropped in the ward of Abbey Road. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as being middle class and fairly well off in comparison to the standard household earnings at the time.
Eliot Mews is part of Westminster Council’s St John’s Wood Conservation Area, one of Westminster’s biggest Conservation Areas located in the northern extremity of the City. Designated a conservation area in 1968, St John’s Wood has an overall low-density townscape with wide tree-lined streets. Importance is placed on generous gardens, trees and greenery, with smaller pockets of terraced housing and mansion blocks.
The two storey properties are a mixture of plain, painted and rendered brickwork and display gable roof styles.
Very few planning applications have been made since 2003; the installation of a roof light and the reduction of a tree canopy. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.