Dudmaston Mews is a through road approached through an entrance under a building on Fulham Road and leading to Doverhouse Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Dudmaston Mews contains just 1 property used for commercial purposes, possibly belonging to the South Brompton Hospital, which the Mews runs behind. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Chelsea Square – south of the Mews, next to Bury Walk and also directly onto the Mews itself. The Mews was outside the area the London Poverty Maps covered when they were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Chelsea Park/ Carlyle’ Conservation Area. Originally the Elm Park Conservation Area when first designated in 1971, it was then extended to include Chelsea Park in 1979. Carlyle Square remained separate until much later and once included, the Conservation Area was henceforth renamed. A major extension to the area took place in 1991.
The one and two storey properties have plain brickwork facades with mansard and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and partial raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is commercial today, being used as nursing home accommodation and Hospital properties.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; mainly relating to the Hospital and medicinal usage of the properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.