Dell’s Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac approached through an entrance under a building on Churton Place, Westminster. The Mews contains only 1 (numbering 1-5) property, used as an Architect’s practice. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
In 1940, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling directly onto the mews, resulting in the properties having to be rebuilt. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions with average household salaries.
Dell’s Mews is situated within Westminster City Council’s Pimilico Conservation Area. Constructed over a short period (1830’s to 1870’s), the area has a layout of formal streets and squares, lined by terraces of houses in the Classical tradition. The mews are situated behind the squares and fill in the street blocks. They are characterised by a more intimate setting than the main streets and are often entered through an archway. The buildings typically consist of two storeys and are generally scaled width-wise to the same size as the main properties that they are linked to.
The two story property has rendered and painted brickwork and a pitched roof style. The road surface is cobbled and parking is restricted. There are no garages present.
The only planning applications made regarding the property in Dell’s Mews are for permission to use it for business purposes and doors and glazed screens to replace the original garage doors. Conservation Area controls now apply to new developments carried out within the Mews.