Crescent Place is a part-paved cul-de-sac off Brompton Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 13 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell onto South Terrace, opposite the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two and three storey properties have pitched and flat roof styles and rendered or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the cobbled road surface and there are intact garages present. The properties have front gardens with many plants.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Walton Street and Brompton Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still prevails in the form of offices and small businesses.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Crescent Place; including rear and subterranean extensions. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.