Cavaye Place is a redeveloped through road approached through an entrance under a building on Fulham Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Cavaye Place contains 28 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto the Mews and in the past it was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions and poorer than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘The Boltons’ Conservation Area; one of the more attractive of Kensington’s 32 Conservation Areas, it was designated in January 1970 and since extended to contain Dove Mews in the east and Seymour Walk in the south.
The name Cavaye Place has denoted both a right-angled street leading northward from the Fulham Road and a larger rectangular area into which the street opens, since 1937. Before that time, the area and the properties that opened onto Fulham Road had formed two different parts with different histories since the time they were first developed in 1780-1790.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with mansard, parapet or pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface. There are intact garages present and partial raised pavements along the sides of the street.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of both residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; changes to the fenestration, single storey extensions and the change of use of certain properties to residential. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.