Campden House Close is a cul-de-sac approached through its own arch off Hornton Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The close contains 11 properties used for residential purposes. It is located on the site of an original Mews but has been re-developed to a degree that it no longer contains any surviving Mews properties.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Hornton Street, just outside of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published, though some houses in the area were slightly poorer in comparison.
The Mews is part of the ‘Kensington’ Conservation Area; the largest Conservation Area, covering 130 acres in total and named after the borough in which it is situated has a plethora of varying locations, from busy shopping streets to quiet Mews cul-de-sacs. The area was originally designated in 1970 and then extended over the next few years, up to most-recently, 1993 to include Kensington High Street.
The two storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with roofs hidden behind parapet walls, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements. There are converted garages present and parking is a mixture of allocated and restricted.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; the erection of a first floor balcony and the retention of sliding and folding doors on a property. The Mews itself is a rebuild of the classic Victorian Mews after the war. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.