The Great and the Good Mews Dwellers
Since the 1950’s/60’s Mews have become increasingly popular places to live and have attracted a wide variety of the famous people; Aristocrats, Actors, Dancers, Musicians, Artists and Sportsmen and Sportswomen. The Mews have also been used as a backdrop for a number of well-known television programmes and films.
Here are a few:
1. Paul McCartney once lived adjacent to Browning Mews, whilst staying with Jane Asher’s family at 57 Wimpole Street.
2. Sid Vicious once lived at 3 Pindock Mews, Maida Vale, with Nancy Spungen from 1977-78 (he died 2nd February 1979)
3. Dusty Springfield once lived in Spear Mews.
5. Bruce Reynolds, the Great Train Robber, considered the mastermind behind the robbery and known as ‘Napoleon’ once lived in a South Kensington Mews and is said to have planned the Great Train Robbery at The Star tavern in Belgrave Mews West.
6. 27 St Luke’s Mews was used for the filming of Love Actually; used as the home of newlyweds Peter and Juliet.
7. Smallbrook Mews was used in filming Trainspotting (1996).
8. Several Mews including Rainsford Street were used in the filming of the TV series The Professionals.
9. Eaton Mews North was used as a film location in the TV series Dangerman (Episode: Fair Exchange)
10. Dame Agatha Christie – who wrote inter alia ‘Murder in the Mews’ – lived at 22 Cresswell Place, which bears a blue plaque….DAME AGATHA CHRISTIE, 1890-1976, Author lived here.
11. Sir Douglas Bader lived at 5 Petersham Mews which now bears a blue plaque which states….Sir DOUGLAS BADER, 1910-1982, RAF Fighter Pilot lived here, 1955-1982.
12. Dame Margot Fonteyn, born Margaret Evelyn Hookham on 18th may 1919 (died 21st February 1991) lived at 2 Rutland Gardens Mews which now bears a Blue Plaque in her name and refers to Jacqueline Du PRE. the plaque states…DAME MARGOT FONTEYN Prima Ballerina, Assolluta and JAQUELINE du PRE Cellist lived here.
13. Jacqueline Du Pre lived at 2 Rutland Gardens Mews (as did Margot Fonteyn) and in Upper Montague Place, which now bears a further plaque with her name which states….JACQUELINE du PRE 1945-1987, Cellist, Lived here 1967-1971.
14. Dame Lucie Rie lived and worked at 18 Albion Mews which now bears a Blue Plaque in her name, and states…DAME LUCIE RIE, 1902-1995, Potter, lived and worked here from 1919 until her death.
15. Terry Thomas lived at 11 Queens Gate Mews which now bears a Blue Plaque with her name which states….TERRY THOMAS 1911-1990, Comedy Actor, lived here 1949-1981. Comic Heritage.
16. Sir Michael Caine, Actor, once lived in Albion Close, W2.
17. Dame Thora Hird (28th May 1911 – 15th March 2003) lived at 21 Leinster Mews, W2 from 1954 until her death. She has controversially been denied a blue plaque.
18. James Hunt the racing driver, lived at 7 and 8 Normand Mews from 1980-82; two properties were combined to form a single house.
19. Sir Sean Connery lived in Wavel Mews in 1962/4 and there are numerous photos available showing him with his Golf Clubs and his Porsche at this time.
20. Peter Cook comedian, actor, satirist and writer who was both influential as an individual and through his association with Dudley Moore, lived in 3 Ruston Mews. It is also understood that Germaine Greer was later resident at the same property.
21. David Essex OBE, 1970’s singer, actor and composer; who enjoyed two number one singles – ‘Gonna Make You a Star’ and ‘Hold me Close’, once lived in Eastbourne Mews, W2.
22. Guy Richie and Madonna once lived in Queen’s Gate Mews. Guy Ritchie is a filmmaker known for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch; Madonna needs no introduction. Guy Richie used the house to film some scenes from his film ‘Layer Cake’.
23. Sir David Putman lives at 15 Queen’s Gate Place Mews. Having started a career in advertising he went onto become a very successful film producer; titles include Chariots of Fire and The Killing Fields. He is now known as The Right Honourable The Lord Puttnam of Queensgate.
24. Wayne Sleep OBE, dancer, actor, choreographer who although diminutive confounded convention and went onto dance with Princess Diana at the Royal Opera House in 1985. He lived in Queen’s Gate Mews West and had his dance studios at No.17 in the 1980’s.
25. Christine Keeler (famous due to her associations with John Profumo the then Secretary of State for War and Yevgeny Ivanov the Russian Naval Attaché and Spy) and Stephen Ward lived at 17 Wimpole Mews, which became famous for the Profumo Affair.
26. The Bee Gees also lived in Spear Mews, at Number 15.
27. Sean Connery lived at No. 3 Wavel Mews and attach the following link to this blog.